Thursday, January 12, 2012

How Much, How Many, How Often?




There is nothing more completely opposed to the true spirit of Christianity than the attitude back of the questions “How Much, How Many, and How Often must I serve the Lord?” It is appalling that some would argue such.



Years back a man handed me a paper which listed his income, rent, food bill, utilities, etc., and said “Now you have the facts. Tell me how much I must give to the Lord?” I asked if he thought he should visit the sick, help the needy; and when he said he did, I asked “How often?”.



He seemed a bit puzzled, so I suggested 50 times per week, and he thought he would be well to get in that number of calls. But I persisted: “On Saturday afternoon when you have just made your fiftieth call and are on your way home, you meet a brother who is destitute, obviously worthy, and you have the means to assist him. Do you say, “I’m sorry I cannot help you now. I have made my 50 calls for this week--but hang in there, drink water and I’ll see you Monday.”



How does one measure service that is patterned after God’s love for us?



If a fellow just must have figures or percentages, he should be given them from Scriptures: like 100%. “for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.” (Mark 12:44) or “So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.” (Luke 14:33). Are you amazed? (Matthew 19:25)



A Christian does not dole out an hour or two, a few dollars, or a pound of mercy for God. He gives first himself (2 Cor. 8:5; Mt. 16:24) and from then on his service is limited only by ability and opportunity. That’s the meaning of “as prospered” (1 Cor. 16:2). i.e., in keeping with what God has given you. God gave life to Stephen, and when the service of God called for it, Stephen gave it back to God (Acts 7:59).



When Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind” (Mat. 22:37), He left no place for “and ten percent of thy money and one hour per week of thy time”. I believe Jesus will go fishing with you (Lk. 5:4f); but don’t forget, you are doing it on His time.







No comments:

Post a Comment